Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display


Instructed by: Mariusz Marczak, PhD

The course aims to familiarise students with the topic of localization, its modes and types related to varied content (e.g. websites, computer software and mobile apps), localization tools, good practices and frequently encountered problems. The coursework will comprise practical tasks involving:

  • Basics of programming (codes, strings, variables, values)
  • Basics of web development (HTML code, CSS code)
  • Content Management System (CMS) web design (e.g. with the use of Wordpress)
  • Use of localization tools
  • Delivery of localization projects
  • Self-development: analysing own knowledge and skills and determining own localization-related learning needs.

Global Understanding

Instructed by: dr. hab. Maria Piotrowska, prof. UJ, Mariusz Marczak PhD

As part of the Global Understanding course, students will complete an international intercultural exchange project with their colleagues from partner universities located abroad. The project is coordinated by the Global Partners in Education (GPE) consortium based at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC, USA. This year, course participants will have the opportunity to collaborate with students from MUBS University in Lebanon and UT in France.

Project classes span only 8th November to 15th December 2022 and a week in January 2023, which gives students leeway in managing their own study time; in October in introductory class will also be held (the date to be provided in due course). The project work will be performed in videoconferencing and e-tandem modes, and it will involve real-time oral and written communication, as well as asynchronous tasks. With their partners, students will be discussing selected topics relating to different walks of life while also sharing their own experiences and views. The course language is English, which permits students to develop communication skills, intercultural competences, as well as distance teamwork skills, which are necessary in the contemporary translation market and the job market at large. Very importantly, nearly 80% of the class time will be dedicated to student-led discussions with partners, while the remaining 20% ​​will be used for preparation and reflection on experience. Course attendees obtain a certificate of participation, issued jointly by East Carolina University in Greenville, NC, USA and the Jagiellonian University, which can potentially boost their CVs, as it confirms the ability to telework in an international team, which is a highly valued asset in the contemporary job market.